packaging PARI?

I'm interested in having a Debianized version of PARI, the number-theory
library and calculator.  Though I'm not currently a Debian developer, I'm
willing to have a go at maintaining a PARI package.  But I first want to
ascertain its current status.

It was included in bo, but has apparently been orphaned.  However, it isn't
mentioned on the WNPP page (I wrote to the WNPP maintainer about this, but got
no response).

In the debian-devel archives, I only found it mentioned in passing, along with
a long list of other discontinued packages, with some vague statement about
lack of copywrite file, or lack of maintainer.

Is there some reason why it was dropped, other than just lack of a maintainer?
Or, on the other hand, is someone already working on a PARI package?

--
David Zelinsky
dsz@alumni.caltech.edu