Re: Exim/fingerd annoyance

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 10:25:06AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sat, 7 November 1998 23:25:46 -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > Until it gets fixed, you could use cfingerd, which doesn't seem to display
> > > .forwards.

> Alexander Koch <efraim@argh.org> wrote:
> > Yep. Any fingerd just displaying your complete .forward file is evil in
> > my POV. But, anyway, exim filter commands are really nice thingies... ,-)

> Also, it's fairly simple to put a Makefile in your home directory
> to do any data movement needed for your dot-files, so if you want
> .forward to show up in .plan you just need a source for the rest
> of .plan and a Makefile.

    I filed a bug on this one and apparently the maintainer of the package
didn't agree with any of us that finger/fingerd displaying information that
is cleary meant for other applications and could also be private without the
user's consent is not a bug.  His recommendation:  Set it 600.  Of course
this does not take care of the problem when people wish to have that file
displayed locally but not remotely.

    My solution after the bug was closed, install cfingerd and forget about
it.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my