Re: PGP vs. GnuPG again... sorry

On Sat, Nov 07, 1998 at 12:24:06PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:

> >>From the PGP Userguide, Volume II :
> >
> >    An exit status code of zero means normal exit, while a nonzero exit
> >    status indicates some kind of error occurred.  Different error exit
> >    conditions return different exit status codes to the shell.
> >
> > This looks like a pretty good check actually.
>
> The point is that GPG is 'broken' w.r.t to exit codes.  However, Debian
> would like to transition to GPG a.s.a.p. since PGP is painfully non-free.

Come on, unless GPG is an absolute ball of gunk (coding-wise), changing the
return codes should take about ten minutes.  I heard about this a long time
ago -- is it really still a problem?

There are lots of good reasons not to parse program output looking for
success/error messages.  One is internationalization.

Have fun,

Avery