Re: bash logins: a little buggy (and potentially dangerous)?

joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com writes:

> I'd really like to see these become part of the .bash_profile and .bashrc
> that are installed into /etc/skel by the package bash.

People are certainly welcome to the code, but I'm not sure everyone
will be comfortable with "non-standard" system defaults that put extra
variables into the envt.

If we did do this, I'd recommend that we prefix any exported variables
with DEBIAN, i.e. DEBIAN_BASH_INITIALIZED.

> Similarly, an /etc/skel/.xsession that sources $HOME/.bash_profile and
> finally exec's whatever lists first in /etc/X11/windowmanagers, just like
> /etc/X11/Xsession would do if $HOME/.xsession did not exist, would be a
> great win in terms of providing a usable default.

Heck, if it were up to me, in the skeleton files I'd symlink
.bash_login to .bashrc, .xsession to .xinitrc, not have a .profile,
*and* do the stuff you suggest above.  I'd also put comments into all
the files explaining exactly why each of these things was done.
However, I presume that there are some that would (rightfully) be up
in arms about this as too heavy-handed...