Re: cc'ing (was Re: Mozilla goes GTK+ instead of Qt)

"Steve Lamb" <morpheus@teleute.ml.org> writes:

> The only one not present is GNUS which isn't an MUA, it is a lisp
> script for a bloated editor which I refuse to install on my machine.

That's too bad, because it certainly handles nearly all the problems
you're worried about, and gives you about any other feature you could
want out of a MUA (or an editor).  The main thing that Gnus doesn't
have that would be nice for some people is IMAP support, but I hear
that this is planned.

>     Want to know what is most commonly missing from Linux MUAs?
> Decent ability to handle multiple accounts from *INSIDE* the
> application.  Want something else that Linux MUAs almost
> universially lack?  Decent support for multiple file folders and the
> ability to easily traverse them as well as know which ones have new
> mail and which ones don't.

Gnus is built from the ground up to handle both of these things.

>     Lack of decent IMAP support is an all around problem for all
> MUAs with, get this, Outlook Express and Outlook98 being the best
> IMAP I've found, even beating out Pine.  Ironic, don't you think?

I can't argue here.

>     Linux MUAs are pathetic by comparison.  Limiting, cumbersome, in
> many cases near useless and in others barely functional.

The *only* concessions you'll get from me here wrt Gnus is that it
could be considered complex, and that for people with serious HD or
RAM limitations, the emacs requirement might be a problem.  But Gnus
is certainly not limiting, near useless, or barely functional.  If
anything it's too functional for some people.

>     Considering I sift through 6-700 messages a day across my five
> accounts and have tried over 30 MUAs (I named 16-17 off the top of
> my head, if I had lists I could name all 30) across 3 operating
> systems I think that more than qualifies for your little "have you
> tried them all" quip which is really a pathetic attempt at a logic
> nitpicking war.

The problem is that you haven't tried the only MUA that's likely to
solve all your problems (except for IMAP) (IMO :>)