Re: developer status again

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> It's probably the same for many people: there are a lot of guys (and gals, is

(Theoretically...: Susan Kleinman (still) and Sue Campbell (ex))

> > Please pick packages with long-standing open bugs and *FIX THEM*
> > before just spreading junk.
> Note that I do it, like several people, but, if the maintainer do not accept
> them or is simply overworked and let them stall, I don't feel confident enough
> to make a NMU (otherwise, I would patch netatalk a lot!).

Talk to the maintainer.  Offer him to make an NMU.  If he acccepts,
fine, go ahead.  If he doesn't accept, provide him with an appropriate
patch sent to the bug tracking system.  If you feel your patch is
good, generate local non-maintainer packages and provide them via ftp
or http and announce it on -devel - and the bug tracking system.  Keep
the contact with the maintainer.

warp@whitestar.soark.net wrote:
> *winces* Perhaps it would help to list what all has to be done for one
> new maintainer application to be processed along with the instructions
> on how to submit said applications, it can help at times to know how
> much work really has to be done.. (=:]

Please take a look at the developers corner.  It's all there.
Unfortunately only very few people submit everything at the first time
and can be passed through within a day or two.

Mitch Blevins wrote:
>  I agree about having clearer guidelines about how to submit applications.
>  I sent jpg attachments of identification papers in my email.  I am not
>  sure it I should have or not (~700K).  I heard an earlier respondant
>  mentioning his telephone charges.  Maybe I should have just sent the
>  application with no attachments and provided a place for the jpgs to be
>  downloaded?

As far as I can say, one image is ok.  However 700kB jpg (jpg does use
compression, doesn't it?) sounds quite big.

>  Who knows?  I don't.  I would have felt better if I could have at least
>  received a reply just to tell me that the email had been received.  Even
>  an autoresponder would be nice.

We have some mechanism, you will receive mail from it, but it takes me
or somebody else at least 15 minutes to check things so you're
processed correctly.

>  BTW - Did you get it?

I have an unread mail from you sitting in the new-maintainer mailbox.

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> I did get an autoresponse to my submission.

That's the one mentioned above. :-)

Mitch Blevins wrote:
>  I did not.
>  So can I safely assume that it would not be impolite to re-send
>  my application?

No.  Without the information given above, you can't assume anything.
The document on the web says you should ask the new-maintainer people
if your submission has been received or not.  (Btw. Bo did that and got
a reply at the same day.)

There are lies, statistics and benchmarks.