Re: unstable + no downgrades = instability

--On Wed, Oct 28, 1998 4:17 PM -0500 Andrew <ensor@atdot.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 11:57:14PM -0700, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
>> > But there *is* something that could rather painlessly keep us out of a
>> > situation like this, which is a little history in the archives.  dpkg
>> > can easily downgrade a package, but old packages are not available.
>>
>> I'd love to see that. But I wonder if we can set this up. Keep in mind
that
>> ftp is about 6gig right now. And we have some history if we finally are
able
>> to release more frequently.
>>
>> Michael
>
> I recently thought about the same thing, after the trouble with the newest
> X packages.  Perhaps dselect could run dpkg-repack on each package it is
> about to install, and save those debs until a new version in installed and
> it starts all over again.

Alternatively, and more simply, save a copy of each package at install time.

Obviously, this would be optional - but useful for people with lots of disk
space, and a need for resiliency.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Debian GNU/Linux - "Microsoft *does* have a year 2000 problem -     |
|                      and we're it!" (paraphrased from IRC)           |