missing files in mirrors

O.k. so debian mirrors are the way to go. But I find that it is
increasingly hard to track the unstable tree from one of them.

I generally use ftp.de.debian.org since it's the closest primary
mirror but even there I find that packages are often missing even
though they are mentioned in the Package files.

For instance, I just tried to install 'fetchmail' and found apt-get
complaining about 'no such file or directory'. So I checked by hand to
see if there was an older version on the mirror-site, but found that
there was no fetchmail there at all. (?)

Perhaps someone could explain to me the procedure followed by the
mirrors.  Until then, I'm pretty much forced to use the master site,
alas.

  Paul Stevens                                  mailto:paul@nfg.nl
  NET FACILITIES GROUP                     PGP: finger paul@nfg.nl
  The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl