Re: Apt UI design

On Wed, Oct 28, 1998 at 01:30:24PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> --On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 8:29 pm -0800 "Joseph Carter" <knghtbrd@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >> I've just added this piece of text to the design, which solves our
> >> problems I think:
> >>
> >>    Since not all terminals have an Alt key there are two alternatives:
> when
> >>    using X we will use Meta1 and for other systems we use escape as a
> prefix.
> >
> > Escape as a prefix is the standard, that's what Alt-key SENDS!
>
> Nope.
>
> Escape as a prefix is standard yes.  However, the Alt-key does no such
> thing.  In fact, what each modifier precisely does is a function of
> keyboard, keyboard driver, kernel and environment (by which I mean, for
> example console mode or X mode).
>
> The META key, as a standard, sets the high bit of each byte.  It is common
> for ESC-<x> to be caught, and then interpreted as M-<x>.  Linux PCs, because
> they don't have meta keys, and because the Alt-key was generally pretty
> underused in un*x system, decided to map Alt to Meta, so that the Alt key is
> in fact a Meta key, which is generally the same as a prefix escape.
>
> Of course, given that PC keyboards now have more keys, it might make more
> sense for Alt to send ALT, and use the Windows key for META.  But that would
> confuse people lots :-)

Hmm I tend to think the "Windows Key" makes a perfectly fine META key :)
what else would you do with it?

Im almost tempted to rubb off the Windows logo and paint a little
diamond shape on it (one of the reasons I bought a SparcStation was the REAL
meta key)

Certainly on any keyboard which has these it makes sense (my current keyboard
here has no Wind..er Meta key :) )

-Steve

We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson