Re: Network load balancing and virtual hostnames

> Now, the more recent versions of bind seem to allow a sort of round-robin
> access to a pool of IP's behind a virtual hostname - unfortunately I can't
> seem to find the config file settings for this in Debian bind's manual ?
> Has anybody out there a Debian system running DNS like that ?

That's the way recent (>= 4.9.4 IIRC) BIND's do it. You just set up your zone
file like:

foo		IN	A	1.1.1.1
		IN	A	1.1.1.2
		IN	A	1.1.1.3

etc, and BIND will round robin the order of the responses (this works for all
record types that you can have more than one of per name). You can check that
is is working with dig, the order in the response should change between each
request.

/Anders
Anders Hammarquist                                  | iko@cd.chalmers.se
Not system administrator at DjungelData             | Hem: +46 31 47 69 27
Chalmers University of Technology, G|teborg, Sweden | Mob: +46 707 27 86 87