Re: xdm package

>> > However using the BTS is not related to the distribution of the software.  We
>> > could use the Debian BTS to track bugs in Microsoft software if we wanted to,
>> > as long as we didn't distribute the MS software in question that would be quite
>> > legal.
>>

>Legal yes, opportune no: Debian is about non proprietary software. We use OUR
>BTS for OUR packages. We can use our BTS for other programs, but I think
>such programs must be completely non proprietary.

I agree totally.  I was using MS as an example to make a point about the legal
situation.

>> Again I agree, I see no reason why we shouldn't use the debian bug tracking
>> system for monitoring KDE, it might need some modification however. And with
>> proper settings in the /etc/apt/sources.list users need never know that the
>> packages they are downloading are not coming from debian.
>>

>Are you suggesting to ship apt with such modified /etc/apt/sources.list? I
>would be against that: it could be very confusing to our users. Moreover I
>think a such active support for KDE would be a very bad move for a project
>committed to Free Software as we are.

I agree totally.  I believe that /etc/apt/sources.list should never refer to
any software which is not on ftp.debian.org.

--
I'll be in Denver from 30 Oct 1998 to 7 Nov 1998 (or maybe a few days longer).
I'll be in London from ~9 Nov 1998.  I'd like to meet any Linux users or