Re: Lots of packages with unneeded dependencies.

On Sun, Oct 25, 1998 at 12:38:12PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, [iso-8859-1] Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
>
> > > I'd be surprised if any serios C++ program worked without libstdc++!
> >
> >  Surprise! lftp is a very nice OO ftp client, and it works. And I have done
> > what I stated in the previous email for a long time!
>
> lftp has source code that make almost no use of any C++ features.

So does wvdial, and lots of my other programs.  I like inheritence and
encapsulation -- let templates, exceptions, RTTI, and other code bloat
rot. :)

> GNU compilers link with a private static libary 'libgcc.a' by using the
> wrong linker you will link with the wrong library for the compiler and
> strange things may happen - I certainly would not do it. (Incidently
> libgcc.a has some of the exception handling code in it)
>
> If you want to do that then you should set LDFLAGS as,
>
> LDFLAGS="-nostdlib -lc"
>
> And use g++

-nostdlib disables libgcc.a also.  I can specify the full path to libgcc.a,
but that's totally ugly.  Is there a gcc-version-independent way to say I
want libc, libgcc.a, and not libstdc++?

I'm building an embedded application (weaver) where every byte counts.  I
don't want to be forcibly dynamically linked with a shared library I don't
use.

Have fun,

Avery