Re: We need easier installation.

  Avery> Hey, here's an idea: why not compare the last-access times of
  Avery> executable binaries in each package?  The ones which have been most
  Avery> recently accessed are the ones which are most popular.

That's much more informative than mirror/ftp stats which are biased by
`download but no install' transfers.

Your method might fall short on overrating cron, at, ... just because they
are called automagically.

As for data gathering, you could also use GNU acct [ which I maintain.] See
for my box here (a demonstration of it doing mostly mailpoppin'):

miles:~ [root] # sa | sort -r | awk '{print $4}' | head -20

sh
cron*
sed
procmail
formail
fetchmail
do_pop.pl
exim
mkdir
modprobe
route
objdump
rm
hostname
ls
grep
cut

--
Linux is not only free; it is, arguably, a better operating system, offering
a degree of stability and an ability to scale up that NT cannot match.
                                             -- The Economist, Oct 3, 1998