Re: We need easier installation.

On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 05:00:45PM -0500, matthew.r.pavlovich.1 wrote:
[..]
> I think it is also critical for us to set up a standard window/desktop
> manager configuration.
[..]

For what little it's worth, I am working on in my head a live filesystem
version of Debian that is designed to cater to a windoze user..  The idea
is still being toyed with in my head, but I think I know how to do it the
best and I have the background in working with everything from macs to
windoze to OS/2 -AND- I have experience with successfully teaching Linux to
a complete computer illiterate who needs tech support to help him install a
sound card in win95.

The organization I have in mind is a mixed system that can do console or X,
has the ability to build kernels at least, uses things like a slightly
customized exim (diverted exim.conf) and joe (probably another diverted
config file) as well as vim/emacs, a couple of very configurable window
managers such as icewm and window maker, etc..

The key to making it work will be the experimental root-on-fs-image along
with a fairly simple setup script which can be used to install the thing in
about 5 minutes onto any RW-mountable filesystem and set up things like
dialup internet (wvdial) and stuff..

What I need to work on it is about 500 megs free HD space and either someone
willing to build a CD image and test it or about 800 megs and a CD-R.  Right
now I'd settle for a plain CD-ROM though (I currently don't have one)

I'm thinking about including GNU/Win32 stuff on the CD as well, might be
useful for those windoze people to have that to play with..

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.