Re: How to change the From: field in bug reports

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Jules Bean wrote:
> > You are aware of the option, documented in the manpage, which does a test
> > run to postmaster@localhost instead of the bugs system?
> I've done this and recognized, that I can *add* a further
> From:-address by `-H` option.  The environment variables
> EMAIL and REPLYTO havn't any visible effect.
>
> That would help but I would be more happy, if the old From field
> would be replaced by the new one by any mechanism.

Well, you can't do this.

At least, you can write an SMTP client, if you have a smarthost, but in
general, From: addresses can only be changed by root, so to do this, we'd
have to make bug suid root.

I would suggest that you

a) Use -H to add a Reply-To: header

or

b) Run bug from an account which can sensibly receive email

or

c) Run bug -p and then load the output into your favourite mail program.

Jules