Re: ftp1.us.debian.org and FTP mirrors

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Frock wrote:
> I'm submitting this as a bug in hope that we might want apt to use a
> random ftp-site carrying debian when installing - instead of everyone
> using the same host (ftp1.us.debian.org)

Once someone posted this script to find the fastest debian mirror, which
could be used in some way in the postinst of apt:

# Script to figure out the fastest Debian mirror sites
zgrep "\..*:/" /usr/doc/mirror/README.Debian-mirrors.gz | \
awk '{ print $1 };' | \
awk -F: '{ print $1 }' | fping -ae | \
awk '{ print substr($2,2),$1 }' | sort -n| head -10

I admit this produces a lot of traffic, but just once. Still better than
ftp1. I don't know how it should be adapted for apt, tough.

Lukas Eppler (godot)