Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Jules Bean wrote:
> I missed the previous discussion (perhaps it predated my Debian days..)
> but I would say that this is clearly the optimal solution!
>
> In fact, we could allow the user to specify any number of 'magic
> directories'.  And within these magic directories, choose between the
> above 3 options.  Directories where users might find this useful are
> /usr/doc, /usr/info, /usr/man.

Why "magic"?  Why not make which directories are affected by the
policy be configurable too?  So then instead of a "doc-policy" it
becomes a "minimal-install-policy" with three values, as mentioned before:
delete, compress, expand.  A package should designate which files fall
under the policy, or if it doesn't, it falls back to a system-wide default
(which is configurable).  Just make sure that whatever the policy is,
doc/{packagename}/copyright is exempted from deletion.

ben
    Chebucto    http://www.chebucto.ns.ca   aa458@chebucto.ns.ca