Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

Michael> I think this is one of those UI issues that seperates
Michael> experienced users from new users: people who have been
Michael> working with this stuff for a while know the tricks, but
Michael> someone installing for the first time might not. I wonder if
Michael> it makes sense to complicated access to _documentation_. I
Michael> never imagined that compressessing docs would confuse people,
Michael> but seeing that it does makes compression seem like a bad
Michael> design choice.

Let's state that /usr/doc is for experienced users only, and that
non-experienced users have other simpler means to access the
documentation. Those documentation tools must be intuitive, and a note
about them could be printed by default in the motd and a graphical
version could be launched in default versions of X config files.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@debian.org