Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 01:00:55PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Stephen" == Stephen J Carpenter <sjc@delphi.com> writes:
>

>  Stephen> If I edit poff (which I have) then I update ppp to the latest version,
>  Stephen> should I expect my poff to not be replaced with the new version in
>  Stephen> the package?
>
>  Stephen> why should this NOT be so for entire directory trees?
>
> 	You are talking about conffiles, where dpkg takes extra care
>  not to clobber stuff. You want to do that for every file? How
>  much extra time do you have on your hands? I though we were
>  talking about slow machines here?

no...my point is that if it is not a conffile and I make changes
then I do so at the risk of loosing them (which I did with poff
I changed it once then filed a wishlist bug because I think a version
of my change could be usefull to others as part of the main package--
but I know that on an upgrade I WILL loose that change.

I am sory if I came off as saying something else

> 	What is wrong with a 18 line shell script that does this for
>  the doc and info trees and can be run out of cron? Why should
>  eveyrhing go into dpkg, so that the behaviour changes for everyone,
>  willy-nilly?

Thats a good point...hmmm...
A cron job to delete uncompressed versions and do cleanup could be
installed (or otherwise activated) by anyone who wants it...

I supose one could argue that if we keep adding features to dpkg then
eventually we will just end up with emacs ;)

I was more disagreeing with the idea that dpkg should be carefull about
stepping on files in /usr/doc and other places. IMHO if its not in /usr/local
or other directory structures specifically documented as a place where
things don't get stepped on...then they are fair game

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"