Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 08:40:00AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> uncompressing the docs would cost about 20M for the required subset of
> documentation. On a machine with fewer packages, it would cost less.
> Given the apparant UI issues involved with compressing, I don't see

I do. I have a few machines with relatively low disk space where
I don't begrudge compressed documentation, but can access it just
fine compressed. For example, my laptop only has a 2Gb drive and
I need most of that for Windows; 400mb is for Linux, and an extra
20Mb there is an extra 5%. Similarly I have some machines with
scrounged old hard drives.

I can't see the point in wasting disk space, if all that's needed
for them to remain compressed is for people to learn the tools.

Hamish