Re: TeX (Knuth) copyright

On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 04:00:51PM +0200, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> Hi Jules,

>     JB> Well, according to /usr/doc/tetex*/copyright on my system, Tex
>     JB> is GPL.
>
> Thanks for your reply.  This is my understanding too, as the copyright
> files in /usr/doc/tetex* should reflect the whole set of software
> distributed as teTeX.  I just asked the question because when I proposed
> to change TIPA's copyright to GPL, the author opposed it to the
> "copyright notice made by Knuth".  If TeX is really GPL, it is even
> better, and I will tell that to the author.
AFAIK, Knuth owns the copyright to all standard TeX fonts and files like
plain.tex. One of the restriction he imposes is that if one modifies the files
he/she should make it clear and change the name. I guess, this part is not
GPL. I've seen the reference to this somewhere on his home page
(http://http://www-cs-staff.stanford.edu/~uno/index.html), but I couldn't find
it today. It was his very frustrated response to inclusion of wrong cmr fonts
with NTeX.

/usr/doc/tetex*/copyright, as I understand, concerns program teTeX, not the
basic TeX system itself.

  --- Shurik.