Re: Which PGP?

Zed Pobre <zed@moebius.interdestination.com> writes:

> > It's not discouraged, it's simply not allowed or usable.  New
> > maintainer don't accept PGP 5 keys; PGP 5 keys don't go in the
> > Debian keyring and dinstall doesn't accept them.
>
>     I find it strange that you would make this mistake.

I've looked at PGP 5 to the extent of discovering its license is still
unacceptable to me; that's it.  I don't go into details partly because
I haven't bothered to check on them as I have no inclination to
acquaint myself with yet more non-free software, but primarily because
some PGP 5 users seem to have problems generating RSA keys (I'm not
making this up, it's happened several times on new maintainer; we
always end up telling them to use PGP 2.x if they can't figure out how
to force PGP 5 to behave).

> It's not PGP5 that Debian has an issue with, it's non-RSA keys.

Not true; gnupg keys are surely not RSA but they're accepted in some
ways (i.e. we have a keyring for them and dpkg-dev supports the use of
gnupg, but dinstall doesn't yet).

RSA keys are actually something we want to get away from.

--
James