Re: Which PGP?

David Frey <david@eos.lugs.ch> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 08:23:38PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> >Dave Swegen <dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> writes:
> >> Out of curiosity, which version of PGP is the debian de facto standard.
> >> I'm currently using v5, but I've seen a number of people use 2.6...
> >2.x; we don't accept later stuff.
>
> Really?

Yes.  (I'm speaking as part of the new maintainer team, debian keyring
maintenance team and as an ftp site grubber, not just for the fun of
it)

> I recently retrieved a lot of PGP5-Debian-Devel keys (signed Mailing-List
> e-Mails, mainly new Developpers), so I got the impression that PGP5 wasn't
> officially discouraged.

It's not discouraged, it's simply not allowed or usable.  New
maintainer don't accept PGP 5 keys; PGP 5 keys don't go in the Debian
keyring and dinstall doesn't accept them.

--
James