Re: Sources consisting of multiple tarballs

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 06:26:38PM +1000, Stuart Lamble wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 01:56:06PM +1000, Stuart Lamble wrote:
> >
> > Couldn't you extract the arch dep parts in different subdirectories and move
> > them to the correct place in the debian/rules file just before building?
> > So you would put all sources in one source package.
>
> I could do that, yes. The main problem is that, as far as I can tell,
> there are currently only i386 sources for the arch dependant stuff at
> the upstream site (the address for which I've misplaced.. d'oh..)
>
> Doing things this way would entail a new source package each time a
> new architecture is bootstrapped. Probably the cleanest way overall,
> though, when all's said and done.. and no doubt Guy (or whoever's
> currently maintaining the FTP archive) would be happy to assist with
> fixing source packages and the like.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, you are right, but this is okay. A new source code release upstream
requires a new source upload anyway (okay, if they distribute
arch dep parts seperately, there is no real requirement for this,
but I still think its the cleanest solution to consider the whole
thing source and all arch dep parts as one source).

If you don´t mind the additional upload (or two), this would be
the best way to do it, IMHO.

bye,
marcus