Re: Sources consisting of multiple tarballs

> On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 01:56:06PM +1000, Stuart Lamble wrote:
> >
> > The bootstrap compiler is distributed (mostly) as assembler
> > source, so they're clearly platform dependant. The sources
> > for the rest of the system are distributed as Modula 3 source
> > code, so they're clearly platform _in_dependant. Unfortunately,
> > the pm3 makefiles are setup in such a way as to require the
> > bootstrap sources to be unpacked as part of the Modula 3 source
> > code tree heirarchy.
>
> Couldn't you extract the arch dep parts in different subdirectories and move
> them to the correct place in the debian/rules file just before building?
> So you would put all sources in one source package.

I could do that, yes. The main problem is that, as far as I can tell,
there are currently only i386 sources for the arch dependant stuff at
the upstream site (the address for which I've misplaced.. d'oh..)

Doing things this way would entail a new source package each time a
new architecture is bootstrapped. Probably the cleanest way overall,
though, when all's said and done.. and no doubt Guy (or whoever's
currently maintaining the FTP archive) would be happy to assist with
fixing source packages and the like.

Thanks for the suggestion.