Re: gdselect alpha 3

Hmm, I think this is my first comment on this..

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Tom Lees wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 02:29:04PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Are there any plans to merge this with apt? Seems gdselect has the frontend,
> > and apt has the backend.
>
> Well, I could do with some apt in-built dependency handling :) There isnt
> time before the freeze, and AFAIK there are no plans now (which means
> there are no plans now).

I think this idea of 'lets quickly do something fast' is ill concieved and
is ultimately going to hurt our image. I've looked at the latest version,
it looks rather pretty, it's slightly more functional than dselect but
that's about it.. It doesn't support any of the more sophisticated things
that people are clamoring for, and it requires X, GTK and a wack of ram.

The fact that it doesn't use the APT library only makes things worse as
now it could have big bugs in odd places!

> Only problem is, apt is in C++, this is in C...

So compile your code as C++, it's not hard, change the gcc call to g++ and
rename the source files. Then you have to fix up a couple casts and some
other things and presto, it's C++. You don't need to use gtk-- or anything
else like that.

> Everything else is done, and I'm adding more UI features.

In alpha3? Quick IRC survey shows that it locked one persons machine hard,
takes huge amounts of ram+time and has randomly segfaulted for another...

I belive Adam Heath has been investigating porting gdselect to libapt,
perhaps you should talk to him.

Jason