Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

Quoting Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr):
> Yes, the current Debian system is really inconvenient. Each time you
> want to do something useful with a documentation (print it, grep it,
> glimpse it, vi it, remember that not every program is able to read
> compressed files and "zcat file.gz | program" is not always the
> simplest thing to do), you have to copy it to an /usr/local. If the
> purpose of compressing documenattion was to save disk space, this
> failed! We have now the compressed and the uncompressed version on the
> disk.

Hmm. We have zless to less gz'd files. Magicfilter will print them, as
will a2ps (maybe some others will too, haven't tried it.) Netscape reads
them, so does lynx. And of course man and info work with them. zgrep
will grep them. vim reads them just fine. I'm drawing a blank on things
I can't do with .gz'd files...

Mike Stone