Re: Linuxconf

"matthew.r.pavlovich.1" <mpav@purdue.edu> wrote:
> what is the current status of linuxconf and debian?

I made a package up, which is currently in experimental because it breaks
booting, and doesn't understand includes in /etc/named, among other things.

If people would like to have a look at it, with an eye to working out how
we're going to get it to sit alongside all our normal stuff, I'd appreciate
suggestions.

The problem is that it is too all encompassing, and wants to be in charge of
things that it has no rights over on a Debian system.  For it to work well in
a debian environment, much of it needs to be split into separate modules
which depend upon the thing they configure.

For example, by default it assumes that you are running sendmail, and tries
to make sure that files that should be present if sendmail were installed,
are present and set to the right permissions.

I've disabled (some of) this in the Debian package, but really it needs to
be put in a linuxconf-<packagename> sub-package.

There's loads of this sort of thing, and it's a little difficult to work out
where to start, especially when it's not entirely clear what the original
intent was, not being a RedHat user.

I could do with someone who knows how the RedHat init scripts work to tell
me what the original intent behind some of the boot menu setup is, so that
we can look at translating it into something worthwhile under debian.

Anyone that's interested, and has a machine they don't mind trashing just a
little, feel free to grab a copy and see if you can work out what we need to
do with it.

Remember though, there's a reason its in project/experimental.

Cheers, Phil.