Re: Debian 2.[01] -- Only rudimentary support for Laptops?

On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 02:46:35PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Maybe the subject is a bit harsh, but currently users trying to
> install Debian on a Notebook face more problems than users installing
> it on a desktop computer. Compared with other Linux distributions

It worked very well for my one.

> - Provide a useful notebook-kernel-image and pcmcia-modules package.

Wait a moment. Don't think a thinkpad is your standard notebook. Most others
work really well. Abd thius include kernel as well as pcmcia.

>   serious working on the road an apm aware kernel is needed. Or try to

Right. I got this from compiling my own as I do anyway.

>   and many other notebooks. And when I install a new kernel I have to
>   recompile pcmcia-modules :-(, so I don't see any sense in the binary

How else shall that work?

>   pcmcia-modules package. Or is it provided for desktops with PCMCIA
>   slots? And you often don't have the disk space to compile kernels on

There is lot of sense. I did install my system via dselects apt method. That
is I had to have my ethernet pcmcia card up and running. This was only
possible because of the binary packages. And frankly at that point I don't
cared about APM support.

> I sent some remarks to the maintainers of the kernel and pcmcia
> packages, but did not get many responses. Compared with other (german)
> distributions Debian lacks much notebook support. The things mentioned
> here could be improved although the solutions proposed have to be
> further polished and improved.

But then we lead the others in several other areas. Does anyone else offer
netenv?

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes      | Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go SF49ers!
Senior-Consultant       | business: Michael.Meskes@mummert.de | Go Rhein Fire!