Re: Bug Report?

On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 09:03:25PM +0200, Helmut Metzdorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> knowing my impatience i nevertheless dare rising my case here after
> only three days without answers on debian-users (worse off with
> Debian 2.0) because i think that its clearly a development issue.
>
> The situation:
>
> a self written programm (i'd like to run 24 hours a day) renders my
> computer unusable for any other task. my observation says that the
> cause is that my program relies heavy on file-io and my current
> Linux-version (debian 2.0 - kernel 2.0.34) is eager to comply by
> keeping the harddrive busy.

[deletia]

Have you considered using nice?

I have experienced severly unbalanced loading on machines that are
doing a lot of I/O. I never spent much time worrying about it because
compiles don't appear to be in this category.  The nice program is a
simple method for governing a resource hog.  Try this first.  After
that, you may want to look at the output of strace to see what sorts
of calls are taking the most out of your system.  After that, you may
be looking at either a) an SMP machine, b) hiring someone who can
scrutinize your code, or c) letting it be a resource hog.