Re: KDE gone, Linux next ?

If the day ever comes that some hardware maker decides to write his
own driver for Linux (say a maker of a win-modem decided to write a
linux driver and throw the disk in the box) but did NOT license under
the GPL, choosing to keep it propritory would that be so bad?

As long as such software came with the hardware, I can see no
difference between that, and buying a copy of Wordperfect for Linux.
We already have commerical X servers and sound drivers available which
are NOT licensed under the GPL.  You don't HAVE to buy these, unless
you feel that they are what you need, and worth the price.