Re: gnome and gtk--

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 04:45:35PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> Gnome support requires Gtk 1.1 from CVS, so if you want a 1.0-based
> version you have to build it separately from the Gnome version.

Mmmh. I mailed to the gtk-- mailing list for clarification of status and
future support.

Building from CVS would mean we must build gtk-- from CVS. Considering the
condition the released packages have quite often, I'd not be too optimistic
to get working packages often... (note: despite the brokeness of some
releases, let me say that new fixed releases follow really fast... I'm not
complaining here).

Also, future versions of gtk-- will have gnome support enabled by default,
so the question is if we should really seperate non-gnome/gnome.

Maybe the really question here is if we also build a "unstable" gtk--,
similar to gtk+ 1.0 and gtk+ 1.1?

> > Does anybody know if it matters if I build against libungif dev or libgif
> > dev? What should I build with?
> >

> libungif doesn't have the non-free compression routines. I imagine you
> want to build with the same thing the imlib packages are built with.

I thought the libs are binary compatible, so you can install either of them?

Thank you,
Marcus