Re: Desperate need for a config tool

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 10:30:11AM +0200, Norbert Nemec wrote:

> I'm not a debian developer myself (yet!!!), but I've following the
> project very close for some time, and I could imagine to, perhaps,
> getting involved right here. Right now, I only have a vague idea how
> this huge task could be done. Basically it starts out similarly to
> dhelp, but in the end, configuration will certainly be even more
> complex than documentation. (There simply is no general way how to
> convert configuration file formats.)
>
> Is anybody out there, who already has done some work on this? I really
> don't want to do the work a second time! Otherwise I would simply start
> out with a first scratch of guidelines. Of course I I would do the
> whole work very open for discussion, since the project would really
> have to be accepted by the whole community.

You are right, it is important, but also very, very hard to do it right.

Please, if you are interested in this, start from the archives of
debian-admintool list. Also look at COAS, linuxconf and other.

You'll notice that it is hard to achieve easy operation, backward
compatibility, flexibility all at the same time.

However, debian-admintool should show the way to a compromise. At some time
in the future, I think we need to reopen the discussion, which was closed to
wait for COAS.

Marcus