Re: LICENSES [was: Re: Have you seen this?]

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 06:36:12PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >the last sentence, from "However, as a special exception" is particularly
> >relevant here.
>
>     Sooooo, if Qt were disttributed with the OS then it would fall under the
> special exception?  :)

Some people argue that it would.  RMS argues that to wouldn't in the case of
Linux at least, however none of that matters since Debian does not and will
not ever make Qt part of Debian.

Personally, I would just like the KDE people to admit that at least in some
cases, linking with Qt isn't going to work with the GPL.  Some of the core
developers and all of the Troll Tech people refuse to do this because they
don't want to deal with asking for permission.  Or rather, they refuse to
admit they need to.  Even if some sign was handed down from some divine
power saying that KDE needed an exception to link with Qt, they would not
admit it even then.

Truth is, both Redhat and Debian say that KDE does need permission.  Redhat
won't distribute Qt because they don't like it.  Debian won't distribute Qt
because it's non-free.  At least on both Redhat and Debian, according to
Slashdot the two biggest distributions, won't include Qt as a standard part
of their distributions.

On those distributions, Qt is not a system library.  It could be argued that
it's not on SuSE or Caldera either, but I'm not going to touch that argument
now since the point is that at least SOMEWHERE, KDE linked with Qt can't be
distributed.

Now, I won't install Qt even for the parts of KDE I like.  (I don't like KDE
as a whole integrated answer to life, the universe, and unix GUIs)  If Troll
Tech does something like make Qt compatible with the stock GPL when linked
with the stock GPL, I'll consider it.  However, they are under no obligation
to do so, and I'm not one of those who advocate forcing them to give away
Qt.

If harmony ever manages to see the light of day and KDE does not
intentionally break KDE with harmony any time there's a good excuse to do
so, I'll probably use those parts of KDE I like with harmony.  This is a
long way off I suspect.  If I could code worth a damn, I'd be helping
harmony rather than writing these silly emails.

Instead, I'd rather see KDE available to anyone who wants to use it,
including Debian users.  I've offered several times to help KDE get the
permission it needs to link Qt on slashdot and a couple more times on irc.
If KDE is willing to try and fix the problem, I'm willing to help them even
if I won't use the results myself.

Why would I do this?  Because KDE is too big a project, too useful to too
many people, and all around too important to be killed because of
uncertainties in licenses and people's stubbornness.  So far, none of the
core KDE developers has been willing to admit there is even any controversy
to the whole KDE/Qt thing with the exception of Stephan Kulow.

Ignoring the controversy won't make it go away.  It won't make KDE any
better.  It won't make KDE any more popular.  In fact, it makes more people
reject the whole KDE project because it seems pretty clear that the only
thing we're hearing from any of the core developers is that there is no
problem and if there is we're imagining it.  I know that if any code of mine
were ported to KDE without my permission, I would be extremely pissed off
about it.  Whether I'd give permission or not, not asking would anger me
quite a bit.

What's wrong with "This software is Free Software and may be used according
to the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 or, at your option,
any later version.  Additionally, you may link this software with the Qt
widget library written by Troll Tech AS, even for platforms on which use of
the Qt library would normally be prohibited."  That solves any question of
whether or not you can link Qt.  Of course, you'll still have to get
permission for GPL programs which are ported to KDE, but I've already
offered to help with that myself.