Re: slashdot

-----Original Message-----
From: john@dhh.gt.org <john@dhh.gt.org>
To: Debian Private <debian-private@lists.debian.org>
Date: Friday, October 09, 1998 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: slashdot

>John Lapeyre writes:
>> Something that came up in the discussion.  Does anyone have any idea what
>> the U.S. legal system (or german or uruguayan for that matter) might
>> think about the GPL and static vs. dynamic linking ,etc.
>
>I think that the courts would permit dynamic linking to non-free libraries,
>but the point is controversial and I don't want to argue it here.
>
>You might have to write your own header files.

Better yet, what if Harmony was written to be binary compatable with Qt, you
could compile with Harmony, it wouldn't work well, till harmony implemented
all of Qt's class's, but you could just drop Qt in, and you'd have a working
system.  I've essentially come to the opinion that the GPL has no control
over dynamic linking b/c it's something a user does in the privacy of his
own home.

Shaya