Re: expect trouble

Paul Stevens <paul@nfg.nl> wrote:
> Ever since hamm, expect has been giving me serious trouble. It won't
> run cleanly when started from cron. This means that a lot of my
> expects scripts are broken. I use expect extensively for system
> maintanance and accounting (make sure servers run, upload websites and
> databases, etc)

I've had this problem too. I've been working around it by allocating a
high-numbered tty on the console and redirection descriptors 0, 1 and
2 to that tty.

[I tried doing a bug report on it a year or so ago, and even got a
response from Don Libes.  Of course, that was for the use of expect's
"interact" command, but basically he was saying that the behavior I was
describing was appropriate (after a rather minor change specifically to
support linux).  I kinda gave up on the bug-reporting side of things at
that point, as I just needed to get my stuff working.]

--
Raul