Re: Finding a source package

<treacy@debian.org>(James A. Treacy) writes:

> Should apt have to download the dsc file for a package before it
> knows what the source files are?

Why on earth not?  If it's going to download the source, the .dsc file
is part of the source and has to be downloaded anyway.

> > > If there are plans to allow multiple source versions into the archive
> > > simultaneously then this will need to be rethought.
> >
> > No such plans.
>
> This is not good.

I disagree.

> Suppose one port needs a wildly different version of a program
> to have it work on that architecture.

Then they have 2 options:

(1) Do dirty disgusting hacks like I did for binutils on m68k.  (Do a
    binary upload of the different version, ignore the source from
    then on [\begin{plug}trivially with quinn diff\end{plug}])[1]

(2) Upload a new source package with a different name, e.g. foo2.1 as
    opposed to foo or whatever.  (Already done for, e.g. glibc)

--
James

[1] Yes, this is horrible and I should do something better.