Re: dh_make

On Tue, 06 Oct 1998, John Lapeyre wrote:
>On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Craig Small wrote:
>csmall>rjc@coker.com.au wrote:
>csmall>> I have recently created a debian/rules file with dh_make, it used "-g" for
>csmall>> CXXFLAGS and "-g -O2" for CFLAGS.  Is there any reason for not using -O2 for
>csmall>> C++ compilation?  Also do we really want debugging symbols in all the
>csmall>> binaries?
>csmall>>
>csmall>> The C++ code compiled with -O2 seems to run well, so I don't think there's
>csmall>> any compiler error for my setup (latest EGCS) at least...
>csmall>
>csmall>I don't think we need to include debugging code, I'm not sure where the -g
>csmall>comes from in the CXXFLAGS as I thought I didn't set that anywhere.
>csmall>scooter$ grep CXX /usr/lib/debhelper/dh_make/*/*
>csmall>scooter$

>	Maybe I don't understand what you-all are talking about,... but
>doesn't policy require compiling with -g and then stripping ?  Last time I
>read the policy manual, this was the case.

The issue for me is not the "-g" but the absense of "-O2" for C++ code.  I've
just changed the debian/rules files for all KDE packages in the KDE CVS to
use -O2 for C++ code and they work fine (presumably slightly faster but it's
difficult to measure).

--
Got no future, got no past.
Here today, built to last.