Re: Imlib NMU

On Mon 05 Oct 1998, ijr@po.cwru.edu wrote:
> On 05-Oct-98 Paul Slootman wrote:
> >
> > Do you really mean _all_ other packages?  AFAIK you can have libjpegg6a
> > and libjpeg6b installed together (I didn't find a libjpegg6b package).
> > Additionally, isn't it that so that those packages that use imlib and
> > depend on libjpegg6a, depend on libjpegg6a only because imlib does?
> >

> No.  Look at the output of 'imlib-config --libs' sometime.

Yes, I see:

-L/usr/lib -lImlib -ljpeg -ltiff -lgif -lpng -lz -lm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lXext

> Because imlib is used on more platforms than just linux, and on other
> platforms, linking shared libs to shared libs doesn't always work.  So, every

Then the question may well be that as it is supported on linux, why
is 'imlib-config --libs' invoking all those libraries on linux? It
may be necessary on other platforms, but as you implicitly say, it's
not on linux.

> application that uses imlib uses the imlib-config program and links against all
> the necessary graphics libs as well.

Really? The first package (chameleon) I checked that I've built myself
that uses imlib shows (in the build log):

   gcc -O2 -pedantic -Wall `gtk-config --cflags` -c info.c
   gcc  -o chameleon chameleon.o setrgb.o setname.o setfile.o info.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext -lm -lImlib `gtk-config --libs`

I see that -lImlib is explicitly linked, and no mention of imlib-config.
I guess this should be considered a build bug of chameleon, however it
shows that NOT every package that uses imlib also uses imlib-config.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands