Re: korganizer debian package

> On Sun, 04 Oct 1998, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> >I packages korganizer for Debian. Currently it is not on the Debian
> >ftp server, because of license problems (GPL programs linked against
> >commercial libraries).
>
> Hi Rainer, thanks for the package and the announcement. Just one minor detail:
> We should not repeat that Debian nonsene in public. Of course, korganizer does
> not suffer from any licensing problems. It's Debian that has problems with
> their weird and rather irrational interpretation of the GPL.
>
> It's prefectly legal to distribute KDE programms in both source and binary
> form (that's why virtually all linux distributors do it) so there is absolutey
> no need to confuse users or potential users.

Matthias,

since I know, that there is nobody, who will complain about distributing
korganizer, I did package and distribute korganizer. But since I do not know,
if the kde or debian people can read the GPL better (I am not a lawyer, and
therefore I am not trying to read it in that detail), there is at least an
unresolved problem.

I solution which would make everybody happy, would be to add this sentence to
the KDE licenses (see second half of http://www.de.debian.org/Lists-Archives/de
bian-devel-9809/msg00258.html). If the KDE people are right, the same thing is
twice in the license. If the Debian people are right, the thing is at least
once in the license. I am wondering which marketing argument is against this
solution.

I think many people would be happy (acroding to the download statistics of the
package), if finally a decision could be made, and the problem is solved
forever.

To the debian developers: Do not post on kde-devel, because only subscribers
can post there.

The debian-devel list is open.