texconfig runs (was Re: Lengthy Debian install procedures)

I suspect strongly that many packages are doing full 'texconfig init'
runs rather than running texconfig only for their relevant packages.
An example in this case is jadetex.  It runs (it's own copy of)
'texconfig init' rather than just generating .fmt's for what it is
installing (jadetex and pdfjadetex).  I suspect we can eliminate a lot
of the delay w/ installing packages like jadetex.

I've just done a big NMU of jadetex but I didn't want to "fix" this
since my concept of the true function of texconfig is a little clear,
I'm not a TeX wizard, etc.  I'll submit a bug against jadetex and also
take a look at other packages which run texconfig.

Any TeX gurus who have comments or ideas should please feel free to
reply to me or to this list.