How about using bzip2 as the standard *.deb compression format?

Hi,

I read in an earlier mail that the main distro will no longer fit on one
CD. Since a standardised specialized tool is already required to install
a *.deb and this tool is installed on every Debian box, why not in the
next update of dpkg include support to decompress bzip2 compressed
*.debs? This would be transparent for the user, and (as far as I can
reason anyways) fairly painless for the developer.

Christopher