Root Framework and Cint (was Re: Cint - Re: [...] incremental compiling and loading)

Mike Miller <miller5@uiuc.edu> writes:

>     > This [cint] should definately be packaged for Debian.
>
> There was some talk a month or few ago about packaging root
> <http://root.cern.ch> for Debian.  I don't know the status of
> that, but, since root includes cint, there may already be a start
> at a Debian cint package.  Anyone know the status of the Debian
> root package(s)?

I intend to package root, but there are some objections:

1) The root framework is still in development.

   This is true for cint, too (lots of features are added because root
   needs it, etc.).

   Basic autoconf support was added a month ago and AFAIK is not part
   of the distribution, yet (I haven`t checked, because I am busy
   learning for an exam).

   You need egcc for compiling it under hamm/slink. If you need, I
   can provide a makefile (for v 2.0/10).

2) The author (Rene Brun) told me he wants to put Root under an
   OpenSource(TM) License.  If the issues have been resolved yet, I
   don't know because at the moment I have no time for programming
   (reading debian-devel is time consuming enough, if you are learning
   for your master exam).

I want to have debian packages (most likely for
project/experimental) around beginning of november, though.

Jens

--
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de       grimaldi@debian.org
KeyID: 2048/E451C639 1998/01/28