From: Steve <steves@ruska.nrel.gov>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: weird remote autologout in Debian?
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 09:01:29 -0600

John Girash wrote:

> Hi all,
> A month ago I installed Debian 2.0 and am very happy with it.  The only
> remaining problems (that I know about) are pslpr not working with my old
> .ppd files, and the following:
>
> When I rlogin or telnet to the main cluster of machines here, I get
> auto-logged out after 2 hours of idle (which is extremely frustrating when
> I'm doing a heavy dbx session and go for dinner!)  This is regardless of how
> I set autologout on those machines, and doesn't happen when I boot my old
> Slackware 2.3 instead of Debian.  It also doesn't happen when I log in to
> any other machine, whether on my local subnet, or on another one (including
> machines on the same subnet as the problem cluster).

John:
	I had (have) the same problem with my RH 5.1 system (kernel
2.0.34).
I was told that this was a kernel problem and that I have to
either recompile
my kernel or upgrade 2.0.35. I am going to do one or the
other, but haven't got
around to it, since it is not a huge problem for me at this
point. Here is an
excerpt from the response I got on this:

I had a similar problem. I believe it is solved in V2.0.35.

The problem is in /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/tcp_input.c line
1728. The 'return
0' should read 'return 1'. The problem is that linux fails to
acknowledge
keepalive packets.

Regards,

Oswald