Re: XEmacs, TeX, and Re: Lengthy Debian install procedures

Santiago Vila writes:
> Because policy says so. Just read the definition of "standard":

   These packages provide a reasonably small but not too limited
   character-mode system. This is what will install by default if the user
   doesn't select anything else. It doesn't include many large applications,
   but it does include Emacs (this is more of a piece of infrastructure than
   an application) and a reasonable subset of TeX and LaTeX (if this is
   possible without X).

This seems to me to be saying that emacs and tex are standard, not that
they must be.  It also does not explain why they are.