Re: Slink packages that depend on libstdc++2.8

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 09:36:54PM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> > libstdc++2.9 is the only libstdc++ in slink.
> >
> > There are still many, many packages that depend on libstdc++2.8,
> > including such trifles as dpkg and apt.
> >
> > I recommend libstdc++2.8 be reuploaded into slink; there's no
> > reason for it not to be there for backwards compatibility.
>
> The proper solution is rebuilding the "libstdc++2.8 dependent" packages
> with libstdc++2.9. As Guy said, without a libstdc++2.8 package in slink
> the mantainers will have an "additional push" to upload a new version
> of their packages.

The initial question was: Should libstdc++2.8-dev be available in slink?
(Note the -dev). We seem to agree that it should not, but it seems that we
mixed this discussion with the discussion about the library itself (not
the -dev).

I think libstdc++2.8 should be available in slink, for the same reason
libc5 oldlibs are (smooth upgrades, backwards compatibility with
non-Debian software, etc.).

However, I'm in favour of submitting Severity: important bugs against any
package depending on the old lib.

--
 "e63a890dd837909c88c8d7cc32fac41f" (a truly random sig)