Re: Debian is not a "main distro"?

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 02:52:55PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     That's the point, people who run Slackware and like to compile do so
> because their milage does vary, please don't get all snooty on this list when
> speaking about them.

When I mentioned Slackware users in this thread, I tried to show them as
potential (perhaps not informed) Debian users. There's nothing in Debian
that forbids you to compile your own packages (Don't we all do it for
some of the bleeding edge ones?) but you can avoid it if you like. And
one way or the other you will have a system that is being actively
developed, that tries to comply with current standards, where the security
holes are quickly fixed...

We try to build a high quality distribution. To do so, I think we have to
know what our potential users want, what their current system offers that
we don't (yet). We have to tell them about our system too, to help them
clarify any misunderstandings. We usually talk about Red Hat, what does
they do better, what not. But there are other Linux distros, and I guess
we can learn something from them too.

I still don't see what Slackware offers that we don't, so I guess it's
just Slack users don't know much about Debian.

PS: :-) What about funding Patrick Volkerding, to "help" him migrate to
Debian? ;-)
--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es