Re: rxvt TERM variable

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 11:47:47AM -0400, Brian Mays wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 27, 1998 at 07:14:09PM -0400, Alexander Stavitsky wrote:
> >
> > > Latest version of rxvt uses "xterm-debian" for TERM -the same
> > > as xterm.  Unfortunately, the handling of various keys (home/end)
> > > differs from xterm to rxvt. I have can change the terminal rxvt
> > > generates through xdefaults, but is it really correct way have default
> > > terminal set to xterm-debian?  Should I file the bug against rxvt?
>
> apenwarr@worldvisions.ca (Avery Pennarun) wrote:
>
> > Sounds like a bug to me.  I'm using rxvt_2.4.5-8 and it still uses
> > TERM=rxvt.  I don't see anything in the changelog.Debian relating to
> > this, so I guess it was an accident.
>
> This strange behavior was caused when I fixed a bug in rxvt so that it
> uses termName as an option/Xresource instead of termname.  This change
> was necessary to make rxvt consistent with the documented behavior in
> it's manual page and to make it more consistent with xterm.
>
> Note that when reading X resources, rxvt recognizes two class names:
> XTerm and Rxvt.  The class name XTerm allows resources common to both
> rxvt and xterm to be easily configured, while the class name Rxvt allows
> resources unique to rxvt, notably colors and key-handling, to be shared
> between different rxvt configurations.  If no resources are specified,
> suitable defaults will be used.  By default, rxvt sets TERM to rxvt on
> color screens and to rxvt-m on monochrome screens.
>
> Therefore, with this bug fixed, rxvt now recognizes the termName resource
> set in the /etc/X11/Xresources file supplied by the xbase package:
>
> 	! Make XTerm use Debian's customized terminfo entry.
> 	XTerm*termName: xterm-debian
>
> I have reassigned the bug report to the xbase package which is responsible
> for the incorrect TERM variable setting.

Come again?  The terminal type "xterm-debian" isn't a bug, it's quite
deliberate.  If rxvt uses the VT100.Translations resources defined by
default in /etc/X11/Xresources, and if the user's shell knows the proper
keybindings (bash does, because it reads the terminfo entry for "xterm-debian";
tcsh has to manually instructed), then rxvt should have no problem with the
home and end keys.  If it does, then that's a bug in rxvt.

In the next release of X, /etc/X11/Xresources will be a directory, not a
file, and /etc/X11/Xsession will do an xrdb merge on every file in that
directory.  If you don't like my method of making xterm somewhat more
complaint with Debian Keyboard Policy, you will be perfectly free to ship a
file in rxvt called "/etc/X11/Xresources/rxvt" and customize rxvt to your
heart's content.  Or you could modify the app-defaults file, which users
won't touch.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |
Purdue University                   |      "Bother," said Pooh, as he was