Re: Debian is not a "main distro"?

Steve Dunham wrote:

> I was referring to recompiling once for each version of emacs
> installed
>
> IIRC, the auctex package took a particularly long time on my laptop.

auctex parses every style and class file on the system for stuff like
completion within Emacs.  It takes a while to do.

> The big questions are: does upgrading (e.g.) emacs19 cause everything
> to be recompiled?  (This seems to happen with tetex - upgrading to a
> new Debian release of the same version causes stuff to be recompiled.)

teTeX does take a long time.  Installing Debian 2.0 on a 486/40 took
*hours* and teTeX took a good portion of that.

>                                                               Emacs
> does retain some bytecode compatibility.

You *cannot* rely on that.  I had to re-byte-compile my add-on elisp
when I upgraded from 20.3 to 20.4 (never mind 19.x to 20.x).

Peter