Re: "super" pkgs (was Re: Back to RedHat)

Michael Stone <mstone@itri.loyola.edu> writes:

> Quoting Federico Di Gregorio (fog@pcamb6.irfmn.mnegri.it):
> > Yes. The problem of super-packages is that if you install, say, 20
> > normal packages by a single "click", you expect to remove them the
> > same way... Maybe we need to update dpkg/apt anyway...
>
> It wouldn't hurt to add that, but I think it can be done in a compatible
> manner. That is, new versions of apt could support some kind of removal
> option, but super packages would still work in older systems.

I think I've heard this before - basically, that apt should keep track
of what has been installed because it was necessary to satisfy
dependencies and what has been installed and what has been installed
by explicit user request.  This is mostly talked about in the context
of libraries, (so that if I de-install gimp it'll get rid of gtk,
assuming I don't have any gnome stuff installed), but the same method,
once implemented, would work just fine for super packages.  I suggest
that anyone really interested in seeing this happen should talk to
those in charge of apt.  Unfortunately, since apt won't have it's own
gui until 2.2 at least, this is a bit of a ways off.  (unless we want
to muck with dselect to have it remember why certain things were
installed the way they were installed).